The Wild and Scenic Rivers Coalition is an unincorporated alliance of more than 60 non-profit organizations. Membership in the Wild and Scenic Rivers Coalition is open to any organization that works to advance river protection and stewardship.
What is the value of membership to river organizations?
Coalition member organizations recognize that by collectively creating a more favorable national climate for and cohesive dialogue around river protection, their localized river protection campaigns and stewardship efforts are more likely to be successful. The broader knowledge base represented within the Coalition provides opportunities for members to learn, share, identify synergies and better tackle common problems. Overall, membership in the Coalition increases an organization’s ability to achieve its mission.
What is expected of member organizations?
Wild and Scenic Rivers Coalition member organizations agree to abide by the Coalition’s Policies and Procedures. Members may:
- Participate in bi-monthly meetings
- Serve on subcommittees to further priorities
- Use the Coalition listserve to request technical assistance and support for river advocacy and stewardship
- Access all online or other resources developed by the Coalition
- Participate in policy or legislative actions, such as signing onto Coalition letters, to express support for unified positions and interests
- Assist in development of Coalition work plans to ensure broad input into annual direction
Attendance at the annual Wild and Scenic Rivers Hill Week is also highly recommended, but not required. Parts of future Hill Weeks are likely to remain virtual to present additional opportunities for participation by new organizations and interested stakeholders.
While not required, financial commitments are requested and can be customized according to the size of the organization and its budget. Successful strategies to make contributions to the Coalition can entail including contributions in existing grants and using adaptations of the value statements above as justification for inclusion of Coalition work in these funding requests. Coalition funding pays for the part-time annual salary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Coordinator, minor operating expenses, and some expenses related to Wild and Scenic Rivers Hill Week.
How can organizations join the Wild and Scenic Rivers Coalition?
- You review and adhere to Coalition Policies and Procedures
- Specify your organization’s main contact who will represent your organization within the Coalition
- The Wild and Scenic Rivers Coalition Leadership Team approves your membership
What happens next:
- Your main contact, and any others you identify from your organization, will be added to the Coalition listserve and semi-monthly meeting calendar invitations
- Your main contact, and any others you identify from your organization, will receive information about and meeting calendar invitations to Wild and Scenic Rivers Hill Week
- Your organization name and website will be added to the Coalition’s member organizations list on wildriverscoalition.org
Contact Lisa Ronald, Wild and Scenic Rivers Coalition Coordinator, to get started with your membership request.