Wild and Scenic Rivers Hill Week
There are many ways to connect with the Wild and Scenic Rivers Coalition, including participating in Wild and Scenic Rivers Hill Week. The Coalition hosted its first Rivers Hill Week–a face-to-face DC fly-in–in March of 2020, right before the COVID pandemic. In 2021, Rivers Hill Week was a virtual gathering hosted March 5-12.
Here’s a look back at Rivers Hill Week successes.
Rivers Hill Week 2021
Facts at a Glance
- Location: Virtual
- Attendees: 89
- Organizations represented: 30
- Campaigns represented: 11
- 6 high-powered learning sessions averaging 45 people/session:
- The Nexus of River Conservation and Energy
- Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Wild and Scenic River Protection
- State of Congress and Environmental Legislation Prospects
- River Protection Campaign Roundup
- Opportunities for River Protection through Clean Water Policy and Effective Advocacy Strategies for Using the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act for Protecting and Improving Water Quality
- Ways to Better Engage in Appropriations
- 25 meetings with individual congressional offices, the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, and House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands, House Natural Resources Committee continue to further campaigns in Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina/Tennessee, Maine, Florida and Alabama.
- Discussions and meetings with agency leaderships to further requests for:
- Inclusion of rivers in 30×30 through adoption of climate ORVs
- Better budget transparency
- Consistency in eligibility inventories
- Consistency in national river data management
- Actions to mitigate increasing river recreation impacts
- Increased engagement between Coalition members who attended Wild and Scenic Rivers Hill Week continues to forge a productive professional network of river protection advocates.
Rivers Hill Week 2020
Facts at a Glance
- Location: Washington D.C.
- Attendees: 32
- Organizations represented: 18
- Campaigns represented: 12
Make sure your organization is a member of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Coalition (email Lisa Ronald at email@example.com) so you can attend Rivers Hill Week 2022, a virtual/in-person hybrid event.